Rogan’s List: Today’s “To-do” List
Posted: 26 Jun 2017 06:13 AM PDT
Contact Federal Government Officials
Find your legislators here: https://www.theloyalopposition.net/rep-finder/
Search all members of Congress here: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/current
Fax your legislators for free: Reps: https://faxzero.com/fax_congress.php
and Senate: https://faxzero.com/fax_senate.php
Find senators Twitter and Facebook Accounts here:
Find representatives on Twitter here:
If your senators and reps aren’t saved in your phone yet,
text your US postal address to (520) 200-2223 and get a text back with your
STATE & FEDERAL legislative rep phone numbers.
- Sen. Chris Murphy (D-CT) tweeted last Friday, “Just got the phone totals this week. 387 calls opposed to GOP health bill. 0 call in support. Zero. Never seen anything like this.” If we are in CT, let’s make those against the bill numbers soar. Murphy may be impressed with those numbers, but we aren’t. We know there are more than 387 of us in CT who are against it. In fact, if these numbers are at all representative of the call level to our senators, we ALL need to make sure we call our senators! Let’s not appease ourselves thinking that others will do it for us. Let’s make all the senators phone totals go off the charts. Call now!
- Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell wants to vote on the GOP’s healthcare bill by the end of this week. Indivisible has identified senators in 10 states who are most likely to be swayed. We should *all* call our senators to block this terrible bill, which guts Medicaid among other things, but those of us who live in the following 10 states really need to turn up the heat: Alaska, West Virginia, Maine, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Louisiana, Arkansas. Check out the daily scripts available at https://www.trumpcareten.org/ and let’s call our MoCs EVERY DAY to stop Trumpcare. Can’t get through? Leave a message/send an email/use Resisbot.
- Vice President Mike Pence is looking forward to replacing Obamacare with a system based on “personal responsibility”: https://mobile.twitter.com/mike_pence/status/878669323929341952 We can share our thoughts with him about the relationship between “personal responsibility” and the very deep issues facing people who would be impacted by the Senate “health care” plan: The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Washington, DC 20500 or on Twitter @mike_pence
- Turns out that sending someone with no foreign policy experience to broker Middle East peace is a poor plan and Kushner’s efforts with Israel and Palestine have reportedly not gone well: http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/339322-trump-weighing-pulling-out-of-middle-east-peace-process-reports Let’s ask Kushner to step away from something he has no business being near: The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Washington, DC, 20500
- As the details of the Senate health care effort are revealed, its crueler elements become more obvious: http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-senate-hidden-20170623-story,amp.html Fortunately, major industry organizations like the American Hospital Association and the American Lung Association and the American Academy of Pediatrics are speaking out against it: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/doctors-health-organizations-reject-senate-health-bill/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab8a&linkId=39048490 and http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/339011-hospitals-to-senate-go-back-to-the-drawing-board-on-health-plan?amp McConnell remains on the fast track for a quick vote – likely very soon after the Congressional Budget Office score is shared. Please be in touch with your own Senators – regardless of party – to express your concerns about the bill. If we are (or know) people in these states: Alaska, West Virginia, Maine, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Louisiana, or Arkansas, let’s use (or share) share this link: https://www.trumpcareten.org
- While five GOP senators have spoken out against the healthcare bill, only one has done so because it will be hurtful to those he represents. “Sen. Dean Heller [R-NV] came out in opposition last Friday to draft legislation released Thursday that would overhaul the U.S. health insurance system. “This bill that’s currently in front of the United States Senate is not the answer. It’s simply not the answer. In this form, I will not support it,” the Nevada Republican said at a press conference.” http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/heller-â€˜will-not-supportâ€-tm-draft-senate-gop-health-bill/ar-BBD5se4 Let’s thank Senator Heller for putting the needs of his constituents before party. Contact info: 324 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, DC 20510 or Phone: 202-224-6244
- The White House’s treatment of the press corps, as well as its movement away from transparency and open communication, is unacceptable http://bit.ly/2s3NdPi When news organizations feel the need to bring in a sketch artist to briefings, that should serve as a red flag http://bit.ly/2t4spvv Let’s give our MoC a call to ask that they stand up for the press and fight back against the White House’s inaccessibility by being vocal and passing legislation.
- Public comment on net neutrality is still open, until mid-July. Rise Stronger has a brief overview of net neutrality which we can check out: http://bit.ly/2s5k2A4 Then, let’s submit a comment to the FCC, telling them why we support net neutrality (sample comments available at the Rise Stronger link) http://fcc.us/2qHNb2E (click on “+ Express” to the right of the “Restoring Internet Freedom” link
- Jeff Sessions continues to do harm. Last month, he sent a letter to House and Senate leaders, asking that they withdraw federal protections for medical marijuana http://bit.ly/2smgPLg Meanwhile, research suggests that opiate-related deaths are actually lower in states that permit the use of medical marijuana. http://bit.ly/2tJ8CiN Let’s give the Attorney General a call and let him know that we want him to end his war on drugs, and to stop attacking safe, legal use of marijuana: 202-353-1555
- Senate Republicans are aiming for a health care vote as soon as Thursday. (http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/20/politics/senate-republican-health-care-bill-vote/index.html) With people’s lives on the line, NextGen Climate is stepping up its efforts to reach out to people by text to encourage them to call their reps and challenge Trump and the GOP, and they’re starting with fighting against #Wealthcare. We can sign up here to help: https://nextgenclimate.org/text-volunteer/ And for more ways to help stop Trumpcare, check out this link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19kqrh5SFq3N_L1b9-8ddeid8ddKxPGSETRIhwTqWQAw/edit?usp=sharing.
- This week, the House of Representatives will vote on a bill that requires cities to follow unconstitutional orders and denies local law enforcement crucial funding if they decide to instead focus on real threats to public safety, putting us in jeopardy. (http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/23/illegal-immigration-bill-house-vote-239897) Let’s make sure all of our reps know this is not acceptable, and we want them to vote no on H.R. 3003.
- Rex Tillerson plans to remove Iraq and Myanmar from the child soldiers list despite objections from State department experts. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trafficking-childsoldiers-exclusi-idUSKBN19E2JY We can tell Tillerson that he is betraying children with this move and we oppose it. Rex Tillerson, US Dept of State, 2201 C St NW, Washington DC 20520.
13. Trump has nominated Steven Bradbury for General Counsel of the Transportation Department. Bradbury wrote the memos authorizing torture under the more friendly term “enhanced interrogation techniques.” http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/05/trump-nominee-torture-bradbury-239167 While this position does not require Congressional approval, let’s tell all of our MoC’s that we oppose this nomination.
- Missouri’s Senate is considering legislation that would allow employers and landlords to discriminate against women who use birth control or have had abortions. The bill, which has the support of the state’s governor, Eric Greitens, was approved by the Missouri House last Tuesday. http://www.newsweek.com/womens-rights-birth-control-abortion-missouri-discrimination-628538 If we live in Missouri, we need to contact our state senators. All of us can contact Governor Greitens to let him know what we think about this assault on women’s rights, Office of the Governor, PO Box 720, Jefferson City MO 65102 (phone: 573-751-3222) or use this contact form: https://governor.mo.gov/get-involved/contact-the-governors-office Let’s also make sure that our own state legislators do not follow this attempt.
- Massachusetts residents—Let’s advance two climate change-fighting bills pending in the state legislature by showing our support for them and getting them out of committee. H 1726, An Act to Promote Green Infrastructure, Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions, and Create Jobs, and S 1821, An Act Combating Climate Change, impose fees on carbon pollution (with provisions protecting low-income people. https://climate-xchange.org/massachusetts-campaign/about-the-bill/ Let’s contact our state reps and tell them that we want them to pass this legislation ASAP.
- David Daley, publisher of the Connecticut Mirror, has an excellent piece on gerrymandering on On The Media: http://www.wnyc.org/story/how-election-actually-rigged/ In it, he points out that the Democrats would do better to focus on upcoming gubernatorial races than House races that are already rigged by Republican gerrymandering. In six of these races, the governor has the power to veto the wildly imbalanced district maps the Republicans have historically pushed through. These states are VA, OH, PA, WI, MI, and FL. We should work hard, beginning now, to win these elections–and to make sure the Democratic party understands their importance and provides the resources needed to win them. Let’s contact the DNC: https://my.democrats.org/page/s/contact-the-democrats or 202-863-8000.
- “Philando Castile wasn’t just a man shot at a traffic stop,” [Trevor] Noah said. “He was a legal gun owner whose family was in the car, and who had committed no crime at all … because he was lawfully armed, you would think that one powerful group in America would say something about it. This is a group you’d expect to be losing their goddamn minds about this.” https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/6/20/15838472/trevor-noah-daily-show-philando-castile-verdict Let’s ask the NRA to stand up for Phil Castile: https://contact.nra.org/contact-us.aspx
- Here is another way we can protest the GOP healthcare bill. Protect Our Care, a project of Indivisible Austin, is seeking “to collect 500 video testimonies of real, everyday constituents whose health insurance is threatened by this bill.” Let’s check out what we can do to help: http://protectourcare.us/
- Wall-of-Us, Asian Americans Advancing Justice, Solidarity Sundays and other organizations are joining forces to build a map of local immigration advocacy groups – making it easier for people to get involved and coordinate. If we want to help, let’s check it out! If we know about a local group that serves immigrants that’s not on the map, we can add it! https://ragtag.org/wall-of-us/map
- From Jen Hoffman’s Action Checklist for Americans of Conscience: Let’s send a note to our friend Nestor Avila, a DREAMer in ICE detention. Nestor’s volunteer told me he is so happy to hear from people and has gotten more mail in the last month than he has in his whole life. That’s thanks to you. He’s recently been put in solitary confinement because of his depression. He could use encouraging, funny, or colorful notes to lift him up, and also receive marker- or crayon drawings too (which he hangs on the walls). Send no money or gifts. Just hugs via mail. Address: Nestor Daniel Avila Miranda, A# 204-631-097, P.O. Box 248, Lumpkin, GA 31815
- Let’s join in this petition by People for the American Way asking Jeff Sessions to step down as Attorney General: https://secure.pfaw.org/site/SPageNavigator/action.html?survey_id=11842
- Want to help restore the Voting Rights Act? Let’s sign a petition from Public Citizen worth signing, to restore the Voting Rights Act: http://action.citizen.org/p/dia/action4/common/public/
Marches/events to attend/organize
- From Action Together Network: In response to this disastrous “healthcare” bill being considered by the U.S. Senate next week, Planned Parenthood, MoveOn, SEIU, Protect Our Care, Center for American Progress and many many others are planning a People’s Filibuster in front of the U.S. Capitol Tuesday through Thursday, as well as a Hug the Senate action Wednesday evening at 5pm. We are inviting everyone to join us and there are several ways you can plug in. Please RSVP on this form by 12noon TODAY! Join The People’s Filibuster of Trumpcare: Save Our Care. If our organization can help be part of this, sign up here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdAks_rBZiBvZSDGX7mo1Dz3PACOf0XtHQPjijemCiwzJiJYw/viewform
- If we live in or are traveling to the D.C. area, we can attend this week’s Pink Out The Streets whenever we can at the U.S. Capitol from 7am on June 26 to 7pm on June 30. For more info and to sign up, we can click here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1496680000426378/
- Democracy for American is sponsoring Resistance Re-energizers in July. Let’s find one here or learn how to start our own: http://act.democracyforamerica.com/event/july-resistance-linkups_attend/
- David Frum has written an excellent piece in The Atlantic: What Happens When a Presidency Loses Its Legitimacy? about what the increasing details about Russian interference in the election mean: https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/531447/
- Aditi Juneja, the co-founder of the Resistance Manual, reminds us why inclusion and intersectionality is essential to the #resistance: https://civichall.org/civicist/how-to-make-inclusion-and-intersectionality-real/
- NPR has put together an easy-to-read chart comparing the ACA (“Obamacare’) to the House’s AHCA and Senate’s Better Care Reconciliation Act (both “Trumpcare.”) http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/06/22/533942041/who-wins-who-loses-with-senate-health-care-bill
Rogan’s List is a participant in and strategic partner of the Action Alliance,
a loosely-federated group of organizations that, in the wake of the
2016 election, are sharing daily or weekly calls to action.
Other member sites are listed here: https://www.actionalliance.co/ —scroll down and click through and you’ll find many more opportunities to make a difference.
Rogan’s List is also part of RISE Stronger’s United States of Resistance