One of the most insidious things about the new Trumpcare plan is that it removes insurance protections for people with pre-existing conditions. Thanks to an amendment by Representative Tom McArthur (R-NJ), if you:
- haven’t had health insurance for 60+ days,
- live in a state that participates in this waiver, and
- have a pre-existing condition.
Insurance companies will be able to legally charge you more when you buy insurance.
If you or a loved one has any of the following conditions, you will be negatively affected by President Trump’s healthcare bill:
- AIDS or HIV
- Alcohol or drug abuse with recent treatment
- Any type of cancer
- Cerebral palsy
- Eating disorders
- Heart conditions (ex. heart disease, stroke)
- Kidney disease or renal failure
- Bipolar Disorder
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Multiple sclerosis
- Muscular dystrophy
- An organ transplant
- Parkinson’s disease
- Pending surgery or hospitalization
- Pregnancy or expectant parent (includes men)
- Sleep apnea
If you’re like the vast majority of Americans, one of these applies to you or someone you love. Call your Senator today to make sure your loved ones aren’t punished for something they cannot control.
Script: I’m calling to urge ______ to not support the AHCA.
In its current form, this bill would make it harder for people with pre-existing conditions to afford health care. As someone with/As someone who has loved ones with CONDITION, I will not vote for you in the future if you make it harder for me/them to access health care. Please vote no on the AHCA.
Please feel free to tell your story. People’s lives are on the line, and our Senators should know that.
Already called in? Share the script: